Monday, October 26, 2009

Car

I've had my car since I was 17. It wan't technically my first car, my first car was an old white van, but I don't really count that van.

I have a 2002 Hyundai Elentra. It is the same car as my mom. Well, my mom's is much nicer. It has leather seats and a moon roof and all the other perks that my poor car doesnt. Still, I love my car. I've been through a lot with the old girl. We've been through breakups and stress-screaming sessions with my friends. We've had flat tires and late nights. We've traveled back and forth to school, and back and forth across the county together several times. It's one of those places I've always felt safe. It's a place where I could cry and be alone. A place where I could travel and escape. I love my car.

I know someday I'm going to get a new car. I'm sure it will be nice and probably bigger. It will probably be the car that carts my babies around and takes kids to soccer practice. But this car took me to soccer practice and took me through acting like a baby and I'm not ready to give it up yet.

Trey and I had been talking about the possibility of having a baby soon. It's been weighing on my mind and, now that my sister-in-law is having a little girl, well I'm getting the itch in a strong way. But today we found out that my car needs a new clutch. It's not a big deal. In fact, that my car lasted this long without needing one is kind of a miracle. I mean, my mom had hers changed over a year ago and mine has many more miles. But my car hasn't been a safe place anymore. It's scary to merge into traffic with no power and it's scary to barely be able to make it up hills. It was a place I'd never been before with my car and I didn't feel safe at all.

So we've decided to wait on the whole baby front. Origionally we had talked about not getting a new clutch and, instead, looking at new cars for me. Baby carrying cars. But it scared me when I saw money getting tight. I don't like to feel unsafe like that. And it's not time to bring a baby, and expensive baby, into that. So we're replacing the clutch. Which means I'll probably have a few more good years with my car. Which gives us time to save up. And I can be ok with that I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment