Monday, February 14, 2011

Won't You Be...My Neighbor...?

{via}

Can I make a confession? Sometimes I have a really hard time loving my neighbor. Does that sound as aweful to you as it does to me?

I remember, as a kid in Sunday school, being so caught up on who my neighbor was. Was it literally the people who lived next to me? Was it my family? Was it my friends? Was it people I already like? Beacuse it couldn't be, surely it wasn't, EVERYONE. Right? Right?! Because how am I supposed to love EVERYONE?

And sometimes I still feel that way. I think things like, "Of course I wouldn't wish actual bad things on that person." And "I love them with the love of Christ." But do I really? Because, I must say, there are some people who put an automatic frown on my face the minute I see them. I still don't wish bad things on them, and I don't hate them or anything, I just wish they were anywhere but near me.

I would love to say that I love everyone as I should. I would love to say that I always treat people like they are valuable. I would love to say that I smile at everyone. But the truth is that I don't always do those things. Can I make New Year's Resolutions in the middle of February? Let's call it a Valentine's resolution: I want to be a more loving person. I want to be sweet. I want people to feel valued by me.

Ready? Go! Smiles ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment