Friday, March 4, 2011

Dance DVD's {A Workout}

Lately I've been exploring exercise through dancing. I know that working out isn't always fun. In the past, I've gotten discouraged when I tried working my body really hard only to be overwhelmed by the pressure and, eventually, just giving up due to dread of my next workout. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has this problem.

Something that I have recently (re)discovered, is my local library. Not only did I rediscover the library as and endless source of books for me to read (well, duh!) I also learned that it has all kinds of resources I never would have thought of! Read: movies, music and WORKOUT VIDEOS!

I absolutely LOVE that my library offers workout videos. Not only does being able to rent a video, instead of buying one, allow me to see if I like a particular one before buying it (my library lets you keep them for 3 weeks), it also gives me the chance to try things I would never have thought to try and to mix it up so my workout doesn't become sedentary.

In the beginning of this year (like many, many, MANY people) I resolved to get "back in shape" and start taking better care of my body. And yes, I wanted to lose some weight. Even more than in years past, I wanted to get down to a slimmer figure and had a bigger picture in mind: I want to be in the best shape I can be before we start having kids!

That, coupled with a goal of mine to learn how to dance (it's scary) resulted in me browsing the uncharted waters of dance DVD's.

There were actually a couple that I tried and didn't really like. I wanted something that would get me moving but would also be fun, upbeat and relatively easy to follow (did I mention that I'm dancing illiterate?) Then I stumbled on the "Cardio Go Go Dance" DVD by Crunch. Fun Fact: I had no idea that "Go Go" was actually a type of dance. I thought it was just referencing a get up and "go-go" attitude about working out.

Anyway, I tried out the video and actually ended up really enjoying it. It was fun, the instructor was easy to follow and went over the moves several times, and I woke up the next morning actually a bit sore! (I had had doubts that I would actually get any kind of real workout). Success!

Unfortunately, I had procrastinated and by the time I tried out the DVD it was time to take it back. I was disappointed, but I decided to check out the other choices while I was there. To my surprise, there were several other dance videos by Crunch! I snagged them all up and took home my loot in anticipation of many good workouts to come.












I know this was a long winded post. Kudos to you if you made it all the way through it! I guess, to conclude, I have these two pieces of advice:

  1. When you're working out (especially when you first get started) don't work against yourself by committing to a regimen that will quickly burn you out. Instead, find something you really enjoy (or want to learn!) and make it fun! It might not be dance for you. Maybe you'd like to swim, or bike or hike or even just walk the dog! The point is to get active, not to tear yourself apart.
  2. And also, check out your local library. They probably have some things that will surprise you! Maybe you can't afford (or don't want) to go to the gym. If you have a DVD player then you're set! It is usually free to get a library card and, if they have a section of exercise DVD's then you have a vast array of personal trainers! My library not only has dance workouts but also yoga, pilates, kick boxing and many many more! Even if they don't have dvd's they probably have exercise books and magazines that can give you some tips on your track to healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment