Friday, March 25, 2011

Read

One of my resolutions this year was to read more. I decided, in order for that resolution to be measurable, I would read a minimum of one book a month. (That actually makes me laugh because "one book a month" would have been ridiculously easy for me once upon a time.) (And it actually makes me cringe because now it is a challenge. Sigh.) Anyway, January I did really awesome with it. I think I read 7 books. Of course, that was probably because I gave up TV for almost the whole month. Curse you evil TV! Feburary I didn't read one single book. Oops.

This month, however, I am on my second book. The first book I read was It Sucked and then I Cried by blogger Heather Armstrong.

It chronicles her journey through pregnancy and post partum depression. I may have mentioned this before, but reading about pregnancy fascinates me. Both my brother and I were adopted so, although I knew where babies come from, I never really learned that much about pregnancy. It is so interesting to me get different perspectives on it. Also, since depression is something I have struggled with, I was highly interested to read the account of someone who has struggled with depression as well, especially in that context.
  
But the book I really want to talk about is the book I'm reading now: The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin.


It was suggested to me by a friend and is right up my ally. The basic premise of the book is a woman who takes a year to increase the happiness in her life. Each month she focus on a different area (Marriage, Finances, Work ect.) and sets daily goals for herself. This book is a good fit for me for two reasons: I love goal setting (have I mentioned that before?) and I want to change my life. The only thing I don't like about this book is that it is a little clinical for me. I was expecting more of a lighthearted, fun approach to changing ones life. Instead, she is very methodical with lots of research and (sometimes) boring (my opinion) approaches to improving her happiness. Still, I think I might try out a Happiness Project of my own and do it my own way.

All for now. What are you reading lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment