Monday, March 7, 2011

Southern Vampire Mysteries {A Series}



In the beginning of this year I made myself a goal: read at least one book a month. I have to laugh a little, because in the past reading one book a month would be laughable to me. I read obsessively and could easily put a book away in an hour or a day, much more a month. But as I got older and got addicted to TV (confession) I read less and less. So much so, that reading a book a month was, sadly, a pretty big goal for me.

However, when I really get into a series, that's a different story. I DEVOUR series. The only problem becomes finding a series to get into.

So this month I'd like to review a series: The Southern Vampire Mysteries (aka The Sookie Stackhouse Novels).

The star of these books is Sookie Stackhouse (surprise!), a waitress and telepath living in Louisiana. The world has just been introduced to the existence of vampires as the vampires have "come out of the coffin" with a Japanese invention of synthetic blood. Due to this new invention, vampires no longer have to use humans for food, making them "safe." As both humans and vampires try to adjust to this new, out in the open, co-existence, all kinds of issues arise, and the rest of the supernatural community waits in the wings to decide if "coming out" would benefit them as well.

Being distinctly different from other humans (and actually a supernatural herself) Sookie is quickly pulled into the supernatural world consisting of, not only vampires, but werewolves, fairies, shapeshifters and plenty more. She falls in love, goes on adventures, saves lives and gets scraped up quite a few times, all while trying to cling to her humanity. Sookie is not a whiny, helpless heroine. She is strong, stubborn, brave and selfless. She takes care of herself.

So far there are 10 book in this series, each covering a different wild adventure, with more on the way.

I will admit to being fed up with the vampire craze. However, this series is no "Twilight." I read through all of the current books in about three weeks. (And they are big books too!) I liked the supernatural feel of the books as well as the mystery element. I know a story is good if I get sucked into it right away and that was my experience with these books. Charlaine Harris, the author, has been at the writing game for a while and really knows her stuff. I was impressed enough with her style to consider reading her other series as well, but have yet to take that step.

Overall I really loved this series and am anxiously awaiting the release of the 11th book, due out this May. It opened me up to the genera of mysteries as well, which I had never really explored before. I give it two thumbs up. Go check it out!

(P.S. Can I just say...there is glitter on the covers of these books. If that doesn't make you pick them up, I don't know what will!)

No comments:

Post a Comment