Monday, August 17, 2009

Run

Trey has decided that he will run with me. At first I didn't think it would make that much of a difference in my desire to roll my lazy self out of bed but I have been suprised so far how much it has helped!

I thought I would hate running with Trey because he is in so much better shape than me. I was also pretty sure I would end up looking like an idiot. While that may still be the case, I have found that I actually enjoy it. It really helps me to get going in the morning when I know I wont be alone. It helps to get out of bed when he isn't still sleeping in it. (NO FAIR.) So in the mornings I drag Trey outside. I bring the ipod to track out mileage and he brings the sexiness for me to run behind, pushing me faster.

You know what is not fair? How is it that I can have run, on and off, pretty well for the past year and he goes out for the first time and does better than me? How is it fair, in any version of reality, that a woman should live with a man who does not gain weight? How is it fair that I should kill myself working out and not lose a pound and my husband can lay on the couch, eat all day and weigh himself AT NIGHT and get off saying, "I lost a pound." WHAT?! AHHHH! So I'm sure he is going to progress much faster in this than I am but o well. I like the company.

Today was the second day in our little exercise routine. Much harder than yesterday for some reason even though we went the same distance, in less time. Maybe it was because we were going faster...? However so slightly...

Growing up in Colorado apparently gave me the false impression that Alabama was flat. I guess when I think about Colorado I think of mountains and mountains make me think "not flat." In that line of thinking I think my brain calculated Alabama=no mountains=flat. WRONG. Colorado is actually extremely flat and Alabama is, well, hilly. AND I NEVER TOOK INTO ACCOUNT ALL THE HILLS.

Our whole run is filled with hills but the worst is the very last leg. Our apartment complex is off a main road on the other side of this ridiculous hill. You know how when you're driving a hill can seem like nothing but if you were to walk or run it it seems way steeper? Well this hill is steep when you are DRIVING. So you can see how it would be a tough run. It's great for living behind because it acts as a kind of natural barrier to the rest of the world, making it seem like our apartment is a little more isolated when, in reality, it is just off a main road. Unfortunately, it also means it is the first thing to greet us when we begin our run and the last thing that needs to be confronted at the end.

This hill KICKED me all over today. It was beating me all upside my head and around my ankles. Add that to the humidity I might as well have been swimming in, and by the top I was huffing and puffing like a pregnant sow. I'm pretty sure I could hear my brain cells screaming as they ran out of oxygen and died.

And there is Trey, waiting for me at the top, trotting along like an energetic puppy.

These hills better do some pretty amazing things for my backside if this is gonna be worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I am very proud of you and the work out thing hang in there - I keep THINKING about at least walking but it hasn't happend yet - hopefully when the weather cools a little....I've also started a blog today -I will see how it goes
    Krystal, Trey's cousin has one too - life with 2 babies....fun keeping up with her - love you guys!

    ReplyDelete