Thursday, August 13, 2009

What do you want to be when you grow up?

I have always wanted to be a writer. Always.

Of course, I wanted to be other things too: a doctor, an acrobat, an accountant. Apparently I even wanted to be a polygamist (12 husbands and 24 children. I guess I was also opperating under the allusion that each set of parents could only have 2 children. I was about 3.) But for some reason I have also always wanted to write.

My first memories of using computers always go hand in hand with writing stories. We used to write stories for our classes in elementary school and bind them with old book bindings covered in wallpaper. I remember writing (and illustrating) several stories about my cat. I had the idea that I would make it into a series one day. Laugh. I remember sitting at my desk in my room typing out of the pages in one of my Christmas books, for practice I guess, and dreaming of one day typing up words that were my own.

For as long as I can remember I have written stories in my head. They are usually about me, talking about myself and what I'm doing in third person, or even talking about what I imagine I could be doing. I have always had a bit of an imagination.

I once fancied myself a poet. Then I found out I can only write, cheesy, but funny poems. Too bad no one will ever get them unless they were "there."

The reighning (sp?) thought in my head, however, has been to write a novel. A novel that everyone will love and that will be made into a movie. The kind of novel that people can get lost in and forget their own lives, just like I do when I read great books.

The main problem I have is that I get all sorts of little ideas but I have yet to hit on the ONE. The story that I really want to sit down and spend time in. I guess I felt like I would finally find IT, MY story, when I grew up. Well, Hello! I turn 22 a month from tomorrow. I would say that "grown up" is well on it's way here. Time to write! Am I too impatient?

So this is it for now. This and lists and notes. That's what I write until I hit on my novel gold. I'll just sit here waiting to grow up till then.

No comments:

Post a Comment